Home Blog Page 81

Your continuous neglect of Anlo becoming ‘legendary’ – Volta youth to Akufo-Addo

0
President Nana Akufo-Addo

The Volta Youth Forum has called on President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to ensure that the Volta Region benefits from all of the government’s flagship programmes.

The call follows what the group referred to as “the ignoble treatment” toward the “Anlo constituency as far as the distribution of the national cake is concerned.”

According to the group, in a statement issued on Friday, 22 May 2020, it recalls “how the Shime road, which started with much jubilation from the citizens of Shime, came to a halt as soon as President Nana Akufo-Addo” became president.

The group indicated that together with the chiefs of Kome and Shime, it is demanding completion of the Kome and Shime road “which was started in 2015” and “was to be completed in 2017”.

“GHACOS Ltd., the contractor working on the road, was made to vacate the site as soon as there was a change in government for auditing to be done. Since then, the 20-km road, which was near 65 to 70% complete, has been left to deteriorate”.

The group said is also demanding the “establishment of a factory in Anlo” as part of its share of the “one district-one factory flagship programme.”

It further continued: “We also want to inform the president that the subjects and chiefs have also made lands readily available for building of a senior high school as a result of the promise he made to the nation to build 350 senior high schools” and emphasised that “the intentional behaviour of the president to ignore development and socio-cultural issues of Anlo is becoming legendary”.

The group also bemoaned President Akufo-Addo’s inability to attend the Hogbetsotso festival celebrated by the Anlos and “many other major festivals in the region among others.”

It added that the Anlo state has not seen “its share of the one-million-dollar per constituency per year” under the Akufo-Addo-led administration and reminded the government that: “We are also Ghanaians, hence demand our fair share of the national cake.”

“Once again, we want to emphasise our fair demand, as part of Ghana, who also need to benefit from the national cake. We demand the completion of the Kome – Shime roads. We demand our share of the 1D1F. We demand our share of the one-million-dollar per constituency per year.”

Source: Class FM

Parliamentary primaries: NPP considering electronic voting

0
New Patriotic Party

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) is considering electronic voting for its parliamentary primaries in areas where it has sitting Members of Parliament (MP).

The NPP has 169 sitting Members of Parliament out of the total 275 seats in Parliament.

The party has already elected more than 95 Parliamentary candidates who would be contesting on its ticket in orphan constituencies [areas the party does not have sitting MPs].

Should the decision be endorsed by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party, there would be an online/offline voting for all delegates.

According to the Director of Research and Elections of the NPP, Evans Nimako, all delegates will vote with their unique numbers.

Speaking to the Daily Graphic, he said in view of the COVID-19 pandemic and the issue of social and physical distancing, electronic voting had come up strongly.

He stated that with e-voting, there would not be the need for delegates to converge on voting centres as they could conveniently vote from their phones in the comfort of their homes or at the constituency secretariat.

Source: pulse.com.gh

My children lost their jobs because of my NDC affiliation – Asiedu Nketia

0

General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress, Johnson Asiedu Nketia has disclosed that two of his children lost their jobs because of his political stance.

Mr Asiedu Nketia said his son was thrown out of his job and has been unemployed for the past three years as a result of political victimization.

According to Mr. Asiedu Nketia, his son who was working with a private firm at the habour was made to resign because his resignation was the only assurance that the firm’s license will be secured.

“My son is out of work. he happened to be working with a private company at the harbor. Now that private company operates with a government licence, then the management of the GPHA squeezed that private company and insisted that until my son is sacked, the licence will be withdrawn so my son had to be sacked,” he told Mamavi Owusu Aboagye on the AM show.

He further disclosed that his daughter has suffered a silmilar fate because she refused to implicate another person in the name of politics.

“My daughter was also working with another government institution involved in auditing. Because of my children’s moral upbringing, they are very strict when it comes to speaking the truth and remaining with the facts.

“So she happened to be working with the Internal Audit Department of a government institution. She was sent on an assignment and given instructions to find something to implicate an innocent person for political reasons and she said she cannot do it.

“So she refused to do it and when she came back from the assignment, they had to taken her from one head office to some district branch in Greater Accra and when she went there the manager [at the district branch] said ‘there is no desk for you’,” Mr Asiedu added.

Mr Asiedu Nketia, popularly known as General Mosquito has been the General Secretary of the opposition NDC, from 2005 to date.

Although he described the incident as unfortunate, he stated that his children have suffered political victimization because of his commitment to his party.

I still stand by my comments – Boakye-Djan

1

A member of the 1979 Revolution, Osahene Kwadwo Boakye-Djan, has defended comments he is accused of making against the Electoral Commission, Ghana (EC).

He said he is not part of the “class of people” who deny making statements attributed to them.

Speaking on TV3’s Hot Issues on Thursday, May 21, the retired army officer said he made the statement out of his experience as an intelligence officer with several years of experience in the army.

The retired senior army officer was picked up on Tuesday, May 19 by officials of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service but was later granted bail.

He was granted bail to the tune of GH¢20,000 with a surety.

He is also to report at the Berekum Divisional Police Command every Tuesday.

Major (rtd) Boakye-Djan is said to have stated that the country would be plunged into civil war if the EC is allowed to have its way in the preparation towards the December 7 elections.

Speaking to host Johnnie Hughes, a popular architect of the June 4, 1979 revolution said he has been in government and his words should not be taken lightly.

‘War drums’

He said his experience with elections in Ghana dates as far back as 1951 and the posture of the current Chair of the Commission portends trouble for the country.

The failed National Democratic Congress (NDC) parliamentary aspirant said he made the comments after a former Jaman South Constituency Youth Organiser of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) went on a local radio station to gloat that his party will extend the margin of victory over the NDC by 300,000 – from the 2016 results – if a new register is compiled by the EC.

He said he found this a cause for worry and discerned the election figures may have been cooked already, then.

Little wonder, he surmised, the EC seems to be dancing to the tune of the appointing agencies.

“If you have a situation where the Electoral Commissioner will be justifying cleaning up [and] that the current [register] is bloated, there is a conflict of interest,” he said, pointing out that that stance is against not only the NDC but civil society as well as smaller political parties.

He said Jean Mensa is “beating war drums” by her actions.

“If you want to run against the track and the direction and interest of the people, then you are pushing us into a national conflict role. And that is all I am saying and as a soldier who is in possession of arms for almost 20 years, I can detect a drift towards civil war and it is my responsibility to make knowledge of this available to Ghanaians so that we can avoid it.”

Source: 3 News

Boakye-Djan deserves a pat on the back for ‘civil war’ warning – Asiedu Nketia

0

General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia has chastised the Akufo-Addo government for dragging Major Boakye-Djan (rtd) before the Police CID for purportedly inciting the public to mutiny.

According to him, Boakye-Djan rather deserves commendation for warning against a possible insurrection, since being an experienced former military officer, he is able to envisage activities that can lead to such acts of revolt.

If They Want It, They Will Get It!

The Major (rtd) accused the EC of gradually leading the country into a civil war with its bull-headedness, particularly regarding the decision to compile a new voters register, and subsequently warned of impending doom should the Electoral Commission connive with the New Patriotic Party (NPP) to rig the upcoming December polls

Sounding a note of caution, he pointed out that most electoral disputes in Africa have resulted in civil wars and Ghana is not immune to it, and warned that “should the EC continue to toe the line of their paymasters, it will certainly spell doom for this country.”

” . . it is political motivation that led to the dismissal of Madam Jean Mensah as the EC Chairperson by the current administration. They want to beef up the numbers so they can win simply because they don’t have confidence in their winning numbers, otherwise they won’t tamper with it…But more importantly…post-independence Africa, all crises and civil wars have been on the back of disputed electoral results. What they are doing now, they are driving us into a civil war and if they want it, they will get it,” he screamed.

CID Invite

Days after his remarks, four personnel drawn from the Criminal Investigations Department of the Ghana Police Service, on Tuesday, 19th May, 2020, arrested and questioned him.

Mr. Boakye-Djan was made to write his statement at the police station in the Bono Region where his lawyers joined him at the police station.

He was later granted bail and asked to make himself available at the station at least once in a week.



Statesman

But the NDC General Secretary, who was speaking in an interview with Kwame Nkrumah Tikesie on Okay FM’s ‘Ade Akye Abia’ Morning Show, described Osahene Boakye Gyan as a statesman for his prewarn remarks.

“Any Ghanaian who wants the best for the country will do as he (Boakye-Djan) did . . . and so I will commend Boakye-Djan for not keeping silent as a statesman . . . per his pedigree, in matters of such nature he could have kept quiet and allow something bad to happen but he chose to warn the EC about their things which can spark civil war,” he argued.

“Has he not orchestrated a coup d’état before? If he is therefore warning you against something that can result in an uprising, what wrong has he done? He is rather doing you a great good . . . He knows the conditions which can lead to a coup d’état and as a security expert, we should welcome his admonition rather than seeking to arrest him.

“If the EC and NPP’s wish is for Ghanaians to turn a blind eye to their actions, then they should be prepared to arrest all of us . . . and when no-one is left, they can go ahead and govern an empty country. Everyone will rise up against this blatant intimidation and manipulation which can mar the democracy,” he charged.

Be careful EC

Asiedu Nketia further cautioned the Electoral Commission (EC) not to take for granted the country’s stable state and ensure that every action they take, especially regarding this year’s polls, is in the best interest of all.

“Some people in the past fought with their blood for the democratic dispensation we are currently enjoying, and so if someone is doing something which will mar the beauty of that democracy and out of fear for our lives we decide not to do anything about it, then we have greatly disappointed those who fought for our democracy. The EC should be careful because they are on dangerous grounds,” he warned.

Source: Peace FM

Government Workers Salary Validation Revoked As Controller Encounters Technical Challenge

0

Controller and Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) has encountered a technical challenge for the month of May as it tries to make ESPV validation for government workers on the payroll ready for salaries to be paid.

The Controller and Accountant General’s Department which is responsible for the payment of government of Ghana workers is said to be battling with a technical issue hence the delays for validating government workers as reports from the said Public Relations Officer (PRO) indicate.

CAGD assures as they exist to provide Public Financial Management Services to the Government and the general public through efficient, skilled, well-motivated, and dedicated staff, using the most appropriate technology.

In a media encounter, the department said that all validators should remain calm as the technical challenge that they are currently facing will never have any effect on the payment of government workers across the country come the month of May.

Meanwhile, newly trained teachers numbering over 2,000 will be affected in the payment since they weren’t able to go through the biometric registration exercise as provisions were made available by the Ghana education Service Directorate.

Frontline health workers have also been assured of their salary increment as frontline health workers in the country would receive an additional allowance of 50 per cent of their basic salary per month for four months—March, April, May, and June.

The Controller and Accountant General’s Department was established under the Civil Service Act, 1960 (CA.5)

Source: thebbcghana

Menzgold appoints Payboy to negotiate settlements of customers

0

Menzgold has appointed digital payment marketing and promotions company, Payboy, as a third party entity to negotiate settlement payment of all monies owed customers of Menzgold.

In a statement released by the now-defunct gold dealership company, they indicated that “Payboy as the appointed third party entity with capacity to negotiate “Debt Settlements Agreements” and to facilitate payments of same, in our committed resolve to ensure the eventual full debts settlements by Menzgold within the shortest possible time.”

Meanwhile, the Coalition of Aggrieved Customers of Menzgold (CACM) has raised concerns about the PayBoy firm.

They are alleging that the company is not licensed by the Bank of Ghana to carry out such responsibility, hence, they cannot deal with the company as the third party to negotiate and facilitate the payment of their locked up investment.

“Our checks do not indicate that Payboy is licensed by the Bank of Ghana. They’ve been registered by the Registrar’s General Department. But as to the particular business they’re doing in demanding money, Bank of Ghana ought to license them to do that activity.

In an interview with Univers Business, Public Relations Officer of the aggrieved customers, Fred Forson, described Payboy Company Limited as a Ponzi scheme and an offshoot of Menzgold.

“The activities of the current Payboy we know is akin Ponzi that Peter must come and pay so that we can pay Paul. If that is the Payboy we know or if this is a different Payboy, they must come clear and tell us,” he stated.

Story by: Nicholas Brown

Criticizing the NDC is my God-given duty – Kofi Akpaloo

0

The Founder and Leader of the Liberal Party of Ghana (LPG), Percival Kofi Akpaloo has said that he never formed his party to align with the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) and only criticizes the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) because it is his God-given duty to do so.

In an interview with Kwame Afrifa Mensah on the ‘Epa Hoa Daben’ show, he stated: “When I formed my party, the NPP wasn’t in power. When people listen to what I say, it may seem as if I am aligned with the NPP but I am not. People believe that I only criticize the opposition. But I am a unique person. I am doing the work of God. Everyone has a God-given purpose. Whatever I say is from God”.

He added that most of the times, what he says is as a result of the questions he is asked.

“What one says is based on the question asked. If you question me on which of the political parties has effectively managed the economy, and I know for sure that Akufo-Addo has done better than Mahama, why would I lie?”, he said.

He stressed, “Even a baby can tell that the NPP administration has done better than the NDC.I don’t work for the NPP. I work for my own party”.

Mr. Kofi Akpaloo has recently been in the news for criticizing the opposition National Democratic Congress. In a recent appearance on an Accra-based TV station, he described the opposition as “Ghana’s biggest problem” while lauding the ruling NPP for its contribution to the development of Ghana.

Source: happyghana.com

UTAG submits recommendations on Public University Bill to Gov’t

0

The leadership of the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) after a thorough review of the public university Bill, 2020 have submitted a 25 paged memorandum to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Education for consideration.

The submitted memorandum is to see to it that the administration, governance, and accountability structures of Public universities are equally balanced without interfering with the autonomy and education freedoms of the Public Universities.

This comes after UTAG registered disagreement of the bill arguing that, it would take away academic freedom and the autonomy of public universities under the form of balancing activities.

The government in response to UTAG said it has no intentions of taking over their autonomy and entreated them to pen down their concerns.

In regard to that, the leadership of the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) has presented the memorandum with the confidence that it will be “given the necessary attention it deserves.” Download Statement here

Source: https://websaet.com

COVID-19: Gov’t to consider regular testing of students when schools reopen

0
Kojo -oppong -nkrumah
Kojo -oppong- nkrumah

The Member of parliament for the Ofoase-Ayirebi constituency and the Minister for Information, Hon Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has revealed the government will be considering regular testing of students when schools reopen.

The Information Minister made this revelation in a live Question & Answer session on Instagram on Sunday May 17 2020.

According to him, the government will also ensure that every student is equipped with face masks or nose masks before reporting to school daily.

Hon Kojo Oppong Nkrumah admitted that the decision and measures to be put in place are for now complicated and assured the citizenry that “President Akufo-Addo brief the nation more on the matter soon”.

Source: https://websaet.com